Vegetable, pea and ham hock soup
( SERVES 6 )
Photo by Babiche Martens
Nothing is more cost-effective or delicious as a hearty soup to eat any time of day. A slab of French stick warmed with melted butter finishes it off. If you are super organised, make some cheese scones, freeze and take one out to enjoy with the soup.
- In a large pot melt the butter. Soften the onion and garlic for 4 minutes. Add the carrot, celery and herbs cooking for another few minutes.
- Add the hock, water and split peas, bringing to a simmer for 1½ hours. Then add the pumpkin and cook for a further 30 minutes until the pumpkin is completely soft and the ham falling from the bone. Add a little extra water if needed.
- Remove the hock on to a plate and allow to cool until you can hold it. Then remove the ham and chop into pieces. Discard the hock.
- Puree the soup and return to the pot. Stir through the ham, reserving a little for garnish. Season with salt and pepper and stir through half the parsley.
- Serve hot topped with extra ham and parsley, along with hot buttery bread.
More of Angela's affordable recipes