|1||Salt & freshly ground pepper, and nutmeg, to season|
|1 Tbsp||Plain flour|
- To make the bechamel; stud the onion with the cloves then put into a saucepan with the milk and the bay leaf and heat.
- In a separate saucepan, melt the butter then stir in the flour and cook until frothy.
- Remove the onion and bay leaf from the milk, discard. Gradually add the milk to the butter and flour while stirring constantly over a medium heat until the sauce boils and thickens.
- Season with salt, pepper and grated nutmeg.
- Butter each slice of bread. Spread with mustard and a generous amount of bechamel. Top with the cheese and ham.
- Heat a heavy-based frying pan and toast the sandwiches for 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Press down with a spatula during cooking to ensure the cheese has melted.