( MAKES 14 )
Use these bao buns to make my fried chicken bao
- In a bowl mix the yeast with the salt and warm water. Stand the bowl in a warm place until the mixture is frothy, about 10 minutes.
- In another bowl mix flour, sugar and baking powder.
- Add the liquid yeast mixture to the flour. Then add 1 tablespoon of the oil and 1 tablespoon of the rice wine vinegar. Mix with a spatula until a dough forms.
- Remove the dough on to a floured surface and knead for about 5 minutes until the dough feels smooth.
- Allow the dough to rest in a greased bowl in a warm place covered for an hour until it doubles in size.
- Take the dough out and, on a floured surface, divide it into 14 portions. Place portions on a lined baking tray and then one-by-one remove each one. Roll each into a triangle, brush with oil and, using an oiled chopstick, fold each triangle over it in half. Carefully remove chopstick. Put folded bao back on the tray. Place it somewhere warm to allow bao to double in size again.
- Bring a large saucepan of water to boil. Line a large steamer basket with baking paper, place 6-8 bao in the basket at a time and steam for 8-10 minutes until they are puffed up and cooked. Keep cooked bao warm and continue until the rest are all steamed.
- To serve, prise open bao and fill.