Swati’s mum’s dhal
Photo by Vanessa Lewis
This recipe comes from Swati, my demi chef at Giraffe. It is her mum's recipe. It uses asafoetida, a flavour enhancer found in Indian stores and some supermarkets. If you can't find it, don't worry, leaving it out won't affect the dish.
|2 cups||Split yellow lentils|
|2 Tbsp||Ghee, or butter|
|1 tsp||Cumin seeds|
|1 tsp||Asafoetida, see above|
|2||Garlic cloves, finely grated|
|1 tsp||Ginger, finely grated|
Tempering (flavouring) for the dhal
- In a large pot cook the lentils in the 6 cups of water for 25-30 minutes.
- Heat 2 Tbsp ghee in a fry pan; add the cumin seeds, cooking till they pop.
- Add the asafoetida, when it has dissolved quickly add the garlic and ginger, stirring till cooked out. Be careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add this mixture to the cooked lentils, along with the turmeric. Simmer till thick.
- While the dhal is cooking, temper the flavours to add to the dhal.
- In another pan, heat the remaining ghee (or butter); add the cumin seeds and asafoetida.
- Next add the onion and chillies, cook until soft and golden, then add the tomato.
- Add the garam masala, chilli powder and turmeric and cook until the mixture is semi dried.
- Add the tempering mixture to the dhal and adjust seasoning before serving. Garnish with coriander.
More of Swati's Indian recipes