Coconut carrot soup
Extra-vrigin coconut oil is cold pressed raw, without any heat treatment, and is useful for medium temperature cooking like sauteing vegetables. It will also reinforce the coconut flavour of this soup. For more on cooking with cold-pressed coconut oil, see here.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of coconut oil in a heavy pot over medium-high heat.
- Add carrots, apple, onion, chopped leek, garlic and ginger, season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring often until vegetables are beginning to soften, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add broth, coconut milk and 1 cup of water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are very tender, 20-25 minutes; let cool slightly. Working in batches, puree soup in a blender until smooth.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons of coconut oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add sliced leek and cook, stirring often, until golden and crisp, about 5 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain; season with salt.
- Serve soup topped with chilli paste (optional) and crispy leeks.