Photo by Babiche Martens
|180 g||Butter, (chilled and diced)|
|1 Tbsp||Caster sugar|
|2 tsp||Water, (iced, approximately)|
- To make the pastry, put the butter, sugar and flour into a food processor and pulse until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Whisk the egg and iced water together then add with the motor running.
- As soon as the mixture holds together stop the machine, remove the pastry and wrap in plastic wrap before refrigerating for at least 1 hour.
- To make the pastry cream, heat the milk with the vanilla bean in a saucepan.
- Whisk the yolks, sugar and cornflour together until thick then pour on the hot milk and continue whisking until smooth.
- Rinse out the saucepan before returning the mixture to it then stir continuously over a medium heat until thick and smooth.
- Pour through a strainer into a bowl and press plastic wrap on the surface to prevent a skin forming. Refrigerate.
- The vanilla bean can be washed and dried for later use or popped into the sugar jar.
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Roll out the pastry to line a 22cm loose-bottomed flan or tart tin. Let rest for 15 minutes before baking blind for 15 minutes.
- When the pastry case is cold, fill with the pastry cream, top with strawberries and dust with icing sugar.