( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Annabel Langbein media
For chicken laksa, swap the fish for sliced boneless chicken thighs, add button mushrooms and baby spinach leaves. For a vegetarian version, pan-fry tofu in a little soy sauce and add it to the soup. You can use any kind of wheat or rice noodles, but rice stick noodles make it so easy as they just need soaking. Adjust the amount of laksa paste to suit your own palate. If you don't have laksa paste, use Thai red curry paste — the flavour profile will be a little different but nonetheless delicious.
For the salad garnish
- Place rice stick noodles in a heatproof bowl and cover with boiling water. Stir to fully submerge and allow to soak for 10 minutes while you make the laksa.
- Heat oil in a large pot and sizzle laksa paste, garlic, ginger and lime zest for 1 minute without browning. Add stock, coconut cream, fish sauce and sugar and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat, add fish and simmer gently until almost cooked through (about 3 minutes).
- Add squid or prawns and cook just until they change colour (about 2 minutes). Season with salt and pepper.
- Drain noodles and divide between four serving bowls.
- Arrange two egg halves on top of each and top with soup. Divide salad garnish between bowls and serve immediately with lime wedges on the side.
More of Annabel's takeaway-style meals