Fragrant prawn soup
Photo by Tam West
- Pour the stock into a heavy-based saucepan. Using kitchen string, tie together the lime or lemon rind, kaffir lime leaves and coriander roots and place in the stock.
- Place over a medium heat and bring to the boil. Add the shallots, shiitake mushrooms and chilli. Lower the heat and simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Add the fish sauce, spring onions and prawns. Continue to simmer until the prawns turn pink. Add the lime juice.
- Ladle into warmed soup bowls. Serve hot with small bowls of the roughly chopped coriander leaves and chilli paste or sauce for everyone to add their own to their individual taste.
Make a change
- Chop 2 baby bok choy and add in with the mushrooms.
- Cook 200g noodles and add to the soup bowls before adding broth.
- Top soup with finely shredded fresh ginger which has been fried in a little vegetable oil until crisp.
- Instead of the prawns, use 300g leftover cooked chicken, cut into bite-size pieces.
- Use vegetable stock and tofu.
More of Kathy's winter soups