Vietnamese beef curry
A mild, fragrant curry.
For the marinade
|1 Tbsp||Curry powder, use up to 2 Tbsp|
|2 Tbsp||Lemon grass paste|
|1 piece||Root ginger, 3cm long, peeled and chopped|
|3||Garlic cloves, chopped|
For the beef
- Combine the marinade ingredients in a small blender. Mix until a paste forms.
- Trim the beef and cut into 3cm cubes. Place in a plastic bag and add the marinade. Move the meat around to ensure the beef is well coated. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Heat the oil in a heavy saucepan. Add the beef and marinade and stir-fry for 5 minutes, until browned. Mix in the water, star anise and cinnamon stick. Bring to the boil then cover and simmer gently for 30 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk, fish sauce and sugar. Peel and cut the carrot into 2cm rounds. Add to the meat. Cover and simmer for 1 hour, until the beef is tender.
- Great served garnished with fresh herbs such as Vietnamese mint, coriander and basil.
More of Jan's curry recipes