Fish and bacon patties
Photo by Tam West
- Heat the oven to 190C. Grease a large baking dish.
- Place the fish fillets in the baking dish in a single layer. Place in the oven and cook for about 10 minutes or until the fish flakes easily. Be careful not to over-cook the fish. Cooking time will depend upon the thickness of the fillets. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Place a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the chopped bacon and pan-fry until slightly crisp. Remove from the heat and transfer the bacon to a plate. Keep the frying pan with its rendered bacon fat.
- Break up the fish coarsely and place in a bowl. Add the bacon, spring onion, parsley, egg, lemon zest and ½ cup breadcrumbs. Season to taste. Mix gently and form into patties, about 2.5cm thick. If needed, add more egg to bind easily.
- Place the remaining breadcrumbs on a large plate. Cover the patties in the breadcrumbs.
- Place the frying pan with the bacon fat back over medium heat. Add a little olive oil if required. When hot, add the fish patties and pan-fry for 2 minutes on each side until well browned.
- Serve fish patties with lemon or lime wedges, aioli and either a salad or a big bowl of steamed vegetables.