Chocolate brownie cupcakes
( MAKES 10 )
Cupcakes are traditionally very sweet and the method of preparation is different to that of muffins. With cupcakes, butter and sugar are normally creamed first then the flavourings, eggs, liquid and flour are added. With muffins, the dry ingredients are combined separately from the wet ingredients then both are combined until just moistened. Wafer flowers are available from the cake decorating area of your supermarket.
|125 g||Unsalted butter, melted and cooled|
|1 tsp||Vanilla essence|
|½ cup||Dark cocoa powder|
|1¼ cups||Plain flour|
|¾ tsp||Baking powder|
For the chocolate icing
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line a 10 to 12-hole cupcake pan with paper cases.
- Beat the butter and sugar together for 2 minutes — preferably using an electric mixer. Add the milk, eggs, and vanilla. Mix well.
- Sift the cocoa powder, flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Add to the butter combo and mix until just combined.
- Spoon into the cupcake cases. Bake for 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- To prepare the icing, beat the butter and cocoa powder in a deep bowl, until smooth. Sift in the icing sugar, then add the milk and vanilla. Beat until light and fluffy. Add a little more milk, if too thick. Pipe or spread over the cold cupcakes.
- Great garnished with wafer flowers or chocolate hail.
More of Jan's cupcakes, muffins & friands