Mum’s voodoo sandwiches
Photo by Vanessa Lewis
These are my mum’s famous sandwiches, which always disappear quickly. Today I’m adding prawns just for a little something extra. A tip is to refrigerate the onions before chopping them, this will stop you crying, and rubbing your hands with vinegar before and after slicing onions will stop any lingering nasty smells.
- The day before required, thinly slice the onions into rings and place in a deep bowl.
- Combine the water and sugar in a saucepan, bring to the boil then pour on to the onion rings.
- Immediately cover the surface of the onions with ice cubes and place in the refrigerator.
- In a bowl, mix the mayonnaise, mustard and lemon juice. Refrigerate until required. The next day, drain the onion rings and dry on paper towels.
- Spread the mayonnaise mix on the number of bread slices required and top with onion rings and the diced prawns.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and top each with another slice spread with the mayonnaise.
- Trim off the crusts and cut the sandwiches into triangles.
- Store in the refrigerator if not required immediately, or beneath a cool, damp tea towel.
More of Simon's Mother's Day recipes