Brutti ma buoni (Ugly but nice cakes)
( MAKES about 20 )
Photo by Tam West
These are based on the traditional Italian biscuit and are spiced hazelnut meringues that are easy to make. We make lots for any celebration. Pack them in a box with tissue and tie up with a ribbon for presentation.
- Heat the oven to 150C. Grease a baking sheet with butter and sprinkle over flour.
- Mix the hazelnuts, cinnamon and cloves together thoroughly and set aside.
- Beat the egg whites until very stiff and then add the sugar gradually, a little at a time, beating well after each addition, until it is all incorporated. The mixture must be very stiff and glossy.
- Stop beating and carefully fold in the vanilla and the hazelnut mixture.
- Using 2 teaspoons, drop egg-shaped pieces of the mixture on to the prepared baking sheet. Space well. Bake 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool on a rack.
- Serve dusted with icing sugar mixed with a little ground cinnamon.
More of Ray's Mother's Day treats