Lemon curd sandwich
- In a saucepan, place the lemon juice, the first lot of caster sugar and the butter, bring to the boil.
- Meanwhile, take a stainless steel bowl and place the eggs and the remaining caster sugar and beat until light and creamy. Whisk the boiling juice into the egg mixture, whisking constantly. Return the mixture to the saucepan.
- Stir constantly over a medium heat until the mixture thickens but does not boil. Squeeze the water from the gelatine and whisk into your lemon curd until dissolved, add to the lemon curd. Pass the mixture through a fine sieve.
- Pour the filling into egg poaching rings and refrigerate for two hours.
- Preheat the oven to 150 degC. In a cake mixer, place the egg whites and salt, beat until soft peaks form. Sprinkle in the first measure of the sugar and whisk until the egg whites are firm. Sprinkle in the second measure of sugar mixed with lemon zest and continue to whisk until firm and glossy (about 3 minutes).
- On a non-stick paper-lined tray, spread the meringue out to the diameter of the poaching ring, place into oven, bake for about one hour until crisp. Place a disc of curd on to a meringue wafer then top with an icing sugar dusted meringue.