Pork meatballs with vegetables and cannellini beans
Photo by Tam West
This freezes and reheats well but add some water as the beans thicken the sauce.
- Heat the oven to 200C.
- Place the breadcrumbs in a mixing bowl and add the wine. Mix well so the crumbs soak up the wine. Add the pork, rosemary, salt, garlic, sugar, olives and preserved lemon or zest. Mix well with clean hands and form into 18 golf ball-sized, slightly flattened meatballs. (I weigh it and divide by 18 and make one to see the size I am aiming at.) Dust the meatballs lightly with flour.
- Heat 4 tablespoons of the oil in a wide metal casserole or deep frying pan over moderate heat. Fry the meatballs on each side until lightly browned. Remove to a plate.
- Pour off used oil and replace with the remaining 4 tablespoons. Add the onion, carrot and celery and fry gently without browning for 10 minutes, or until the onion is soft.
- Add the reserved meatballs, the stock and beans. Mix well, boil, cover and place in the oven for 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, stir in the peas and spinach, taste, season, let stand five minutes then serve. Good with crusty sourdough bread.
More of Ray's autumn casseroles