Mum's Chinese meatballs and cabbage
|2 Tbsp||Soy sauce|
|500 g||Beef mince, or use pork mince|
|1 cup||Tomato sauce|
|6 Tbsp||Brown sugar|
|90 ml||Ginger beer|
|1¼ cups||Water, mixed with 1 tbsp of the cornflour|
|2 tsp||Garlic cloves, crushed|
|2 tsp||Ginger, crushed|
|1||Onion, thinly sliced|
|½||Chinese cabbage, look for wong bok (chinese long cabbage) washed and shredded|
|2 heads||Bok choy, washed and shredded|
|1 head||Celery, top third, sliced|
|6 Tbsp||Vegetable oil|
- In a bowl, mix the lean mince, soy, sherry, salt and 1 tbsp of cornflour together. Roll into large walnut-sized balls.
- Heat the wok, add half the vegetable oil and fry meatballs until just cooked. Place into a bowl and cover to keep warm.
- To make the sauce in a saucepan bring to the boil the tomato sauce, brown sugar and ginger beer. Whisk in the water and cornflour to thicken, then take off the heat.
- Heat the remaining vegetable oil in a wok. Add the garlic and ginger and fry briefly to colour, then add the onion, cabbages and celery. Stir-fry until wilted.
- Place on a heated platter, scatter over meatballs and dress with the sauce.