Indian spiced pumpkin soup
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Vanessa Lewis
This is such an easy yet great-tasting soup that takes no time at all to put together, works for a weekend lunch, or Sunday night supper. Freeze leftovers in single-serve packs and take to work for lunch. Mix it up and serve with creme fraiche instead of yoghurt or a crusty French stick instead of the naan. Why not try what I’ve done in the photo, put some yoghurt into a small piping (or plastic) bag and play naughts and crosses on the top of the soup . . . just a thought!
- In a solid-bottom pot add the oil and heat until it begins to shimmer; add the onions and cook until translucent.
- Next add the pumpkin and cook for a further 3 minutes.
- Pour in the vegetable stock, then add the Indian seasoning and bring to a simmer. Cook for a further 15 minutes or until the pumpkin is soft.
- Remove from the heat and blend with a stick blender until smooth.
- Return to the heat, add the cream and bring to the boil.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and serve in soup bowls with dollops of natural yoghurt, fresh coriander, a little sprinkle of Indian seasoning (optional) and warm naan bread on the side.