Passionfruit lime curd, rum and mascarpone cake
Photo by Vanessa Lewis
This easy cake is a simple base that can take being partnered with some intense flavours, such as these, which make it just that little more luxurious. My top tip for this recipe is using lemonade rather than making sugar syrup — this is a winning timesaver in my eyes. This cake is ideal for a special afternoon tea or as a dessert.
|1 cup||Caster sugar|
|3||Eggs, lightly beaten|
|2 tsp||Baking powder|
|1 Tbsp||Dark rum|
Passionfruit lime curd (makes 1 cup)
|2||Limes, zest and juice|
|½ cup||Caster sugar|
|2||Eggs, lightly beaten|
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Grease and line a 20cm cake tin with baking paper.
- Cream the butter and sugar until pale, add the first measure (200g) of mascarpone and continue to beat. Add the lightly beaten eggs slowly.
- Add the flour, baking powder, salt and fold the mixture together gently.
- Pour the mixture into the lined cake tin and bake for 25-30 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Remove cake from the oven.
- Mix together the lemonade and rum then pour over the cake. Cool the cake on a wire rack and prepare the curd.
- To make curd: In a saucepan, heat the lime zest and juice, passionfruit pulp, sugar, butter and cornflour. Whisk until butter is melted. Continue to whisk, slowly adding the eggs. Stir constantly until the mixture thickens. This should take 4 -5 minutes.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
- To finish, mix together the curd and extra 200g mascarpone.
- Spread the curd mixture over the entire cake, and top with the chopped pecans.
More of Simon's passionfruit recipes