Cheesy croissant bake
Ideal for brunch, this tempting delight could be served with slices of fresh melon or kiwifruit, or with strawberries. It can be prepared and refrigerated overnight before baking.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C.
- Place the split croissants on an oven tray. Bake for about 10 minutes, turning once, until crisp and golden brown. Cool a little then tear into bite-size pieces.
- Sauté the shallots in the olive oil, until softened. Stir in the sage.
- Whisk the eggs, milk, cream, half the cheese, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Place the croissants and shallots in a lightly greased 20cm x 18cm baking dish. Pour the egg mixture over the top and press the croissants down to fully immerse them in the liquid. Cover with plastic film. Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Sprinkle the croissant mixture with the remaining cheese. Bake for 40-45 minutes, until puffed, golden and set.
More of Jan's breakfasts