Cheesy croissant bake
( SERVES 6 )
Ideal for brunch, this tempting delight could be served with slices of fresh melon or kiwifruit, or with strawberries. It can be prepared and refrigerated overnight before baking.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C.
- Place the split croissants on an oven tray. Bake for about 10 minutes, turning once, until crisp and golden brown. Cool a little then tear into bite-size pieces.
- Sauté the shallots in the olive oil, until softened. Stir in the sage.
- Whisk the eggs, milk, cream, half the cheese, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Place the croissants and shallots in a lightly greased 20cm x 18cm baking dish. Pour the egg mixture over the top and press the croissants down to fully immerse them in the liquid. Cover with plastic film. Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Sprinkle the croissant mixture with the remaining cheese. Bake for 40-45 minutes, until puffed, golden and set.
More of Jan's breakfasts