( MAKES 4 jars )
Photo by Tam West
Perfect to serve with cold meat cuts and cheese. Salting the vegetables helps them maintain their crunch once they have been cooked. Other spices that work well in piccalilli are fennel seed, dill seed and celery seed.
- Place the cauliflower, cucumber, zucchini and onion in a large glass bowl and sprinkle over the fine salt. Stir to mix then cover and leave to stand in a cool place overnight or for 24 hours. Keep in fridge if weather is humid.
- The next day, rinse with very cold water and pat dry with kitchen paper.
- Place the vinegar and sugar in a large saucepan or preserving pan and place over a low heat. Add the mustard, cumin seeds, mustard seeds and turmeric. Cook very gently until the sugar dissolves. Increase the heat and bring to the boil, then season with black pepper. Add the vegetables, return to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Place the cornflour in a small bowl and mix with a little of the hot vinegar liquid until you have a smooth paste. Pour into the vegetables and stir. Bring up to the boil, then simmer for 5 minutes to cook out the cornflour.
- Place piccalilli into the hot, sterilised jars and seal.
More of Kathy's preserve recipes