Pasta with eggplant and broccoli
Photo by Tam West
Browning the eggplant without oil is something I learnt from my friend Daniela in Italy (thelazyolive) last year. Doing this means delicious cooked eggplant slices without it soaking up lots of oil and becoming greasy.
- Heat a large frying pan over high heat and brown the eggplant slices on both sides in batches. Remove from the pan and reserve. Wipe out the pan.
- Drop the broccoli into a saucepan of boiling water, bring back to the boil and boil until cooked but still crisp. Drain well.
- Drop the pasta into a large saucepan of well salted water (the water should taste like sea water) and boil until al dente or tender to the bite.
- Meanwhile, heat the frying pan over moderate heat and add the oil, chilli, garlic, zest, eggplant and broccoli. Stir-fry until everything is hot then add the peas and almonds. Mix well and stir-fry a few minutes until hot. Taste and season.
- Drain the pasta well and place in a large, warm serving bowl. Add the eggplant mixture and the lemon juice and mix well. Serve with plenty of parmesan.
More of Ray's autumnal dinner recipes