Gratin of stuffed zucchini
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Tam West
If your tomato sauce or passata is on the thick side, thin with stock or a little water. Use large zucchini and cut in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds.
- Heat the oven to 180C.
- Top and tail the zucchini. Slice the tops of the zucchini lengthwise. Using a teaspoon scoop out the seeds and discard, leaving a deep cavity for the filling.
- Lightly oil a large gratin dish and place zucchini in it, slightly apart.
- In a bowl, combine the ricotta, breadcrumbs, eggs, half of the parmesan, the herbs and the pine nuts. Season with salt and pepper. Fill the zucchini well with the ricotta mixture.
- Pour the tomato sauce around the zucchini (rather than over the top), then sprinkle the remaining parmesan all over. Drizzle with a little extra virgin olive oil.
- Place in the oven and cook for 20 minutes until the filling is puffed and golden and the zucchini are tender.
- Serve with barbecued lamb short loin (backstrap) if wanting a meat accompaniment.