Parmesan chicken schnitzel
Photo by Vanessa Lewis
Served with my zucchini and mint salad, this simple but delectable chicken schnitzel takes summer comfort food to another level.
- In a shallow bowl, combine the panko crumbs, parmigiano-reggiano and Italian seasoning.
- In another bowl, place the flour, season with flaky salt and freshly ground pepper.
- In a third bowl, whisk the eggs together until well combined.
- Dredge the schnitzels in the flour, dip in the egg and then coat in the crumb mixture. Place schnitzels in the fridge to stand for about 10 minutes or until you are ready to cook them.
- Heat a pan, add 1 Tbsp of olive oil, then 1 Tbsp of butter. Cook one schnitzel at time, frying for about 2 minutes on each side. When golden and cooked through remove from heat, keeping the schnitzels warm. Repeat the process till all schnitzels are cooked. Serve with a wedge of lemon and zucchini and mint salad.
Simon's 'Five per cent magic' tips
- We use Simon Gault Home Cuisine Italian blend rub in the chicken schnitzel crumb: you can get it at most supermarkets. It’s amazing at making the crumb sing.
- When preparing the schnitzel, place the cut chicken breast between cling film and pound it out with a mallet or rolling pin so it’s an even thickness.