Crispy cantonese roast chicken
( SERVES 6 )
The perfect wine match for these Asian flavours is the Charles Smith Kungfu Girl 2016 Riesling.
For the marinade
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel.
- Combine the marinade ingredients in a jug. Place the chicken in a large ziplock bag — legs up. Pour half the marinade into the cavity. Pour the remaining marinade over the chicken and zip up. Refrigerate for 12 hours, turning once.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade. Place on a rack on a tray and pat dry. Refrigerate, uncovered, for at least 8 hours, until the skin is very dry.
- Preheat the oven to 200C. Line a roasting pan with foil. Place an oiled roasting rack on top.
- Tie the chicken legs together with string then place, breast-side up, on the rack. Bake on a low rack in the oven for about 1½ hours, until cooked. Wrap the wing and drumstick tips in foil if they start to brown too much.
More of Jan's Chinese recipes