( MAKES 16 )
Photo by Babiche Martens
For a French flavour, these caneles are a sweet sensation. It sounds a long time to cook such a little delight, but the result is moist, slightly chewy and worth waiting for. You will find the moulds at specialty cook shops or online.
- Place the milk into a saucepan. Scrape the seeds from the vanilla pod into the milk and bring to the boil. Remove and cool for 10 minutes.
- Stir through the sugar, melted butter, flour, rum and egg yolks. Whisk if needed until completely smooth. Rest for up to 24 hours or at least 8.
- Preheat an oven to 220C. If using silicon moulds, you do not need to grease them. If using other types, butter generously.
- Pour the mixture into the canele mould until three-quarters full.
- Place into the oven for 8 minutes, then turn down to 180C and cook for 1 hour 15 minutes.
- Remove, cool for 5 minutes then tip onto a cooling rack.
More of Angela's desserts