Torta di verdure ligure
Photo by Tam West
My version of the classic Ligurian vegetable pie I ate at the Viccolo Intherno restaurant in La Spezia.
|450 g||Potatoes, peeled and cut into 3cm dice|
|4 Tbsp||Extra virgin olive oil|
|2||Large onions, finely chopped|
|3||Garlic cloves, finely chopped|
|1 tsp||Dried oregano, wild|
|½ tsp||Ground nutmeg|
|2||Zucchini, sliced 1cm thick|
|1 large handful||Baby spinach|
|1 cup||Grated tasty cheese|
|¼ cup||Parmesan cheese, finely grated|
|500 g||Short pastry, savoury, made with butter; I use the Paneton brand|
- Heat the oven to 200C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Boil the potatoes in salted water until very tender. Drain, let dry and cool. Crush with a fork in a large bowl. Reserve.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over moderate heat. Add the onions, garlic, oregano, nutmeg and zucchini. Fry gently without browning for 20 minutes or until the onions are very soft. Add the spinach, mix well and let it wilt. Cool then add to the potatoes.
- Add the cheeses and 3 of the eggs and mix well. Taste and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. This is the filling.
- Roll the pastry out on a floured surface and cut 2 x 30cm diameter discs. Place one on the paper-lined tray. Spread the filling evenly on the pastry but leave a 2cm wide border around the edge. Brush the border with warm water. Place the other disc of pastry on top and crimp the edges together with a fork.
- Beat the remaining egg and brush over the pastry. Cut 4 x 4cm long slits in the top pastry to let the steam escape. Place in the oven for 40-45 minutes or until set in the middle, well cooked and browned.
- Remove from the oven, cool a little then serve in wedges.
More Mediterranean recipes from Ray