Gluten-free date and honey pudding
Photo by Babiche Martens
If you are feeling a little naughty, try this gluten-free date and honey pudding. It is sweet, sticky and totally divine. Serve hot or cold with the honey caramel sauce. And, if you have any sauce left, save it and drizzle over a bowl of vanilla icecream and enjoy the gooeyness.
For the pudding
|1 cup||Pitted dates, roughly chopped|
|1 cup||Boiling water|
|1 tsp||Baking soda|
|½ cup||Brown sugar|
|¼ cup||Runny honey|
|1½ cups||Ground almonds|
|1 tsp||Ground ginger|
|1 tsp||Baking powder, gluten free|
For the honey caramel sauce
- Preheat the oven to 170C. Lightly grease a 22cm ovenproof dish.
- Place the dates and water in a small bowl and soak for 20 minutes. Drain, reserving two tablespoon liquid. Add the baking soda to the liquid then stir through the dates
- Cream the butter, sugar and honey until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating together. Fold through the almonds, ginger and baking powder. Stir through the date mixture. Pour into your baking dish. Place into the oven for 35 minutes or until just set.
- Remove and cool slightly before serving.
- To make the sauce – combine the honey, cream, butter and ginger in a small pot. Bring to the boil for 4 or 5 minutes until slightly thickened. Remember as it cools it will thicken a bit more.
- Serve the pudding with sauce and a dollop of cream.
More honey and date combinations from Angela