Scallop, bacon and green bean salad
Photo by Tam West
The combination of the flavours of scallops, bacon and celery is one I have always liked. If you have lovage in your garden use some of the leaves as they have a celery-like flavour. Substitute asparagus for the beans if you like. This recipe serves six as a starter.
- Drop the beans into a saucepan of boiling salted water, bring back to the boil and boil 3 minutes. Drain.
- Put the celery heart, leaves, warm beans and tomatoes on to a shallow serving platter.
- Heat a frying pan over moderate heat and add the oil. Add the bacon and fry until just beginning to brown.
- Add the scallops and stir fry until browned. Quickly add the vinegar, mix well and sprinkle everything evenly over the vegetables on the platter.
- Sprinkle the chives on top and serve.
Ray's three course seasonal menu for six also includes brown sugar, orange and hazelnut syrup cake and panfried lamb shortloin with greens and greek lemon sauce.