Grapefruit ice cream with vodka
Makes 1 litre
- Grate the zest of the grapefruit and put aside.
- Pour the juice into a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Boil rapidly to reduce by half - approximately 10 minutes - then reduce to a simmer.
- Beat the yolks and the zest with electric beater until pale.
- Add the sugar to the juice and stir until dissolved.
- Pour the simmering liquid onto the eggs while beating, until cool and very thick.
- Fold in the cream and freeze. Pour over a shot of vodka before serving.
To get the maximum vitamin boost from citrus - squeeze, zest or slice just before using.