To skin hazelnuts, place in a heat-proof bowl in the microwave for 1-2 minutes then shake in a sieve until the skins fall off. Or, wrap in a clean tea towel and rub hard. Hazelnuts are sometimes called filberts or cobs in the USA and England.
- Flatten the breasts until they are about 1cm thick. You may want to cut them in half lengthwise.
- Pulse the hazelnuts in a food processor until they resemble fine breadcrumbs. Combine with the salt, panko crumbs, orange rind and thyme.
- Whisk the mustard, egg and water and season with black pepper in a shallow bowl. Place the cornflour in another bowl.
- Dip the chicken in the cornflour, then in the egg mixture, then in the nut mixture, coating well. Press it in then chill for 40 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Place the chicken breasts in a large oiled baking pan. Bake for about 15 minutes, until cooked.
More nut-based recipes from Jan