Chicken, orange and fennel salad
( SERVES 6 )
Photo by Tam West
On a Mediterranean cruise aboard Celebrity Reflection, I ate an entree at Blu restaurant which was a bit like the salad part of the following. I have added chicken and farro wheat to it. If the dressing separates before serving, just blitz it again in the blender.
|600 g||Free-range boned & skinned chicken thighs|
|3||Garlic cloves, crushed|
|7 Tbsp||Extra virgin olive oil|
|1 tsp||Dried oregano, wild|
|2 handfuls||Rocket leaves|
|1||Fennel bulb, stalks cut off, coarse outer leaves removed, bulb sliced thinly|
|3||Oranges, peeled with a sharp knife and thinly sliced horizontally|
|½ cup||Kalamata olives, pitted|
|1||Red onion, thinly sliced|
|¼ cup||Orange juice|
|1 large||Lemon, juice only|
|¼||Preserved lemon, sliced peel only|
|1 pinch||Chilli flakes|
|1 small handful||Coriander leaves|
|1 small handful||Mint leaves|
- Heat the oven to 220C. Line an oven tray with baking paper.
- Meanwhile, put the chicken thighs, 2 cloves of the garlic, 2 Tbsp of the oil and the oregano into a bowl, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and mix well. Reserve for 30 minutes.
- Place the thighs side by side on the paper-lined tray. Place in the oven for 20 minutes or until well browned and cooked through.
- Bring a saucepan of water to the boil and add the farro. Boil gently for 25 minutes or until the farro is completely tender. Drain, season, mix well and place on a serving platter. Put the rocket, fennel and orange slices, olives and onion on top.
- Place the remaining oil, the orange juice, lemon juice, preserved lemon, chilli flakes, coriander and mint into a blender. Season well and blend until creamy. This is the dressing.
- Slice the chicken across the grain of the meat and place on the salad. Drizzle the dressing over everything. Sprinkle with extra coriander and mint.
More of Ray's cruise ship recreations