Fregula, chorizo and radicchio
Photo by Babiche Martens
On a recent outing I tried tomato fregula topped with a piece of freshly-caught hapuka. This inspired me to create something with fregula — a mini form of pasta in small balls. Made from semolina dough and from Sardegna (Sardinia), you will find it in some supermarkets or specialty stores. Here, I have made a simple sauce to fold through with rocket, and fried some radicchio. Some people find radicchio (from the chicory family) a little bitter, so feel free to omit or replace with a steamed green vegetable.
- Cook the fregula as per packet instructions.
- Heat oil in a frying pan to a medium heat. Add onion, garlic and chorizo, cooking until brown and golden. Add wine, tomatoes and salt and pepper to taste and cook for 10 minutes until slightly thickened.
- Toss in the rocket to wilt.
- Heat a frying pan to a medium heat. Add the 1 tablespoon oil. Fry radicchio until slightly browned.
- Mix the fregula with the chorizo mixture. Place in a serving bowl and garnish with the fried radicchio.
More cafe-style recipes from Angela