Celeriac, pumpkin, sprouted seeds, shiitake, sorrel
Photo by Tam West
To coincide with the release of her new plant-based cookbook, Little Bird Goodness, Megan May decided to challenge four of the most influential chefs and cooks in New Zealand to create a plant-based dish, in an effort to showcase just how easy and delicious plant-based cuisine can be, and how beneficial incorporating more plants into our diet can be for our health, and the planet.
Last, but not least, in this month’s challenge is Michael Meredith with this seasonal creation that showcases the best of spring produce. Try making the recipe yourself at home.
To make the pickled celeriac and roasted pumpkin
|1 cup||White vinegar|
|1 cup||Coconut sugar|
|½ tsp||Black pepper|
|1 tsp||Fennel seeds|
|1 kg||Butternut, peeled and cut into 4cm pieces|
|2||Garlic cloves, finely chopped|
|1 tsp||Cumin seeds, ground and toasted|
|½ cup||Coconut sugar|
|2 Tbsp||Grapeseed oil|
|¼ cup||Tamari soy sauce|
|20 g||Chopped coriander|
To make the mushroom saute and tamari dressing
|200 g||Shiitake mushrooms|
|1 tsp||Grapeseed oil|
|½ cup||Orange juice|
|½ cup||Rice vinegar|
|½ cup||Grapeseed oil|
|2 Tbsp||Maple syrup|
|1 tsp||Freshly grated ginger|
- To prepare the celeriac, bring the first 7 pickling ingredients, but not the celeriac, to the boil, let it infuse overnight before using. Place celeriac in pickling liquid for half an hour before you are ready to use.
- To prepare the pumpkin, toss all 6 pumpkin ingredients, except coriander, in a bowl. Place in a roasting tray, cover with foil and cook at 200C until pumpkin is slightly soft — around 20 minutes. Lightly crush the pumpkin so it is chunky but not mash. Just before serving, warm pumpkin and add chopped coriander.
- To prepare the mushrooms, saute for 1-2 minutes until soft with the grapeseed oil. Season with salt.
- To make the dressing, mix all dressing ingredients together and store in an airtight container until ready to use.
- To serve, spoon warmed pumpkin on to a plate. Drape over pickled celeriac. Add shiitake, brussels sprouts, seeds, sprouts, sugar snaps and carrots. Garnish with sorrel. Spoon dressing over the top.
More plant based recipes