Chicken liver and port pate
( MAKES 35-40 small bites )
Photo by Tam West
This pate, sliced on to chunks of Swedish seeded crispbread (knackebrod) and accompanied with a fruit paste or syrup, makes a special canape to serve with drinks.
- Heat port with smashed garlic and the bunches of thyme and oregano, then gently simmer until reduced by three quarters. Strain and cool.
- Blitz cleaned chicken livers with sea salt flakes and a little freshly ground black pepper until smooth. Pass through a sieve into a mixing bowl.
- Whisk in the port, then slowly whisk in 250g melted, cooled unsalted butter. Pour into a greased, lined loaf pan (11 x 21cm), cover loosely with foil and cook in a water bath in a low 110C oven for 50 minutes or until the pate is just firm to the touch in the middle. Remove from bath and leave to cool on a rack.
- Garnish pate with thyme and top evenly with a little extra melted butter or melted quince/guava jelly. Cover and refrigerate to chill thoroughly.
- Remove pate from pan, slice into serving wedges and serve with seeded crispbread and a fruit paste or syrup.
More of Warren's Swedish-style canapes