Fish pitas with a tangy citrus herb salsa
Photo by Tam West
For the salsa
For the fish
- For the salsa, combine the diced lemon or lime, chilli, spring onion and herbs in a bowl. Stir in the olive oil and season well with sea salt flakes. Set aside while you cook the fish.
- Heat the oil and butter in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the fish fillets and pan-fry, turning once for 3-4 minutes. This will depend upon the thickness of the fillets. Remember that fish keeps on cooking once removed from the pan, so remove a little earlier than you might think. Gurnard fillets break open a little during pan-frying too so this helps you see into the flesh.
- Spread each pita with yoghurt, top with avocado, then the fish and finish with a little salsa.
Make a change
- Slice a few leaves of cos lettuce and place under the fish.
- Dust the fish fillets in 1 tsp ground cumin and 2 Tbsp flour before pan-frying.
- Use a sweeter variety of lemon for a less tangy salsa and counteract acidity with salt and more oil if you prefer a more subtle flavour.