Whitebait and kaffir lime fritters
Whitebait fritters are a favourite but you might also like to try them in omelettes and quiche. These serve 6 as a starter.
- Rinse the whitebait and pat dry with paper towels.
- Whisk the flour and milk until smooth then beat in the egg yolks, salt and pepper. Add the kaffir lime leaf.
- Whisk the egg whites, until stiff. Fold in the flour mixture and the whitebait.
- Heat 1-2 tablespoons of the oil in a non-stick frying pan. Shallow-fry heaped tablespoons of the whitebait mixture, until golden on both sides — 1-2 minutes
- Drain on paper towels. Serve immediately with lemon wedges.
More springtime dishes from Jan