Caramelised asparagus and bacon
I used Henderson’s cured and manuka smoked streaky bacon — no chemicals, no added water and gluten-free.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C. Line a large roasting pan with baking paper. Place a wire rack on top.
- Snap the tough ends off the asparagus. Cut the stalks to measure about 15cm.
- If the bacon is thick, run the blunt edge of a heavy knife along the bacon to ‘stretch’ it. Take 4 spears of asparagus and wrap the bacon around the bunch. Place on the rack, bacon ends down. Repeat with the remaining asparagus and bacon.
- Combine the oil, syrup and sauce. Brush thoroughly over the asparagus and bacon.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the bacon is cooked.
More springtime dishes from Jan