Baby Christmas Cakes
( SERVES 12 )
Staying well ahead of the curve, Lois Daish was writing about cupcakes in 1995, including these lovely baby Christmas cakes.
- Chop the fruit and nuts coarsely and put in a bowl with the whisky, brandy or dark rum. Leave to steep for as long as possible. Overnight is best.
- Turn the oven to 160 degC and place 12 paper patty cups in a muffin tray.
- Put the soft butter, brown sugar and treacle or golden syrup in a mixing bowl and beat until light, then beat in the egg. Sift the flour, baking soda and cinnamon together and beat into the batter with the milk. Beat in the prepared fruit.
- Scoop batter into 12 paper patty pans and bake for 20-25 minutes until the cakes are set. They will still be flat and a little sticky on the surface.
- Remove from the oven and brush a little more whisky, brandy or run over the tops of the cakes.
- Cook on a rack. Eat straight away or leave to mature for a couple of weeks.
- For a festive appearance, you can brush the cakes with a glaze just before serving. Bring 2 tablespoons of apricot jam and a tablespoon of water to the boil in a tiny pot, then push the jam through a sieve. Brush over the cakes while still warm and place a toasted almond on top.