Photo by Babiche Martens
- Preheat oven to 170C. Select a roasting dish large enough to hold the meat and vegetables.
- Season the pork and wrap in the muslin, tie tightly.
- Wash the vegetables and cut if necessary. Smaller whole vegetables work best.
- Season and wrap in muslin parcels, separating beetroot if using because the colour will bleed.
- Line the roasting dish with tinfoil to reach up the sides.
- Mix together the soil, sugar, rice and manuka chips then lay in the bottom of the dish. Add herbs and garlic if using.
- Sit the dish over a medium gas flame to start the smoking process.
- Move the dish slowly until you see that the whole surface is smoking then remove from the flame.
- Pour in the water then add the parcels and quickly cover the entire dish with tinfoil, making sure it fits tightly.
- Put in the oven and let cook undisturbed for 2 hours.