Seared beef, noodles and brussels sprouts
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Tam West
If you are not keen on brussels sprouts you can change out for another brassica. Any extra curry leaves can be frozen for later use.
- Heat a large frying pan over high heat. Rub steaks with olive oil and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Place in the hot pan and cook for 3 minutes on each side. Remove from the pan to a plate, cover with foil or baking paper and rest for 10 minutes.
- Cook rice noodles in a large saucepan of boiling water for about 6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain and rinse under cold water. Set aside.
- Cut each brussels sprout in half lengthwise, then shred.
- Place 2 Tbsp olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the mustard seeds and cook until they begin to pop. Add the curry leaves and shredded brussels sprouts. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring until the sprouts are lightly golden. Add vegetable stock, reduce the heat, cover and simmer until cooked to your taste.
- Add the cooked rice noodles and chilli and heat through. Place in 4 warmed bowls. Slice the sirloin steaks and divide slices between the bowls of noodles.