Chocolate, date and banana cake
Photo by Babiche Martens
Two of my go-to pleasurable snacks: dates and bananas, make this cake irresistible. Dripping in chocolate ganache, it’s simple and delicious. Enjoy it as dessert, or a good excuse to have a second morning coffee. Once you’ve mastered chocolate ganache there is no looking back. Serve with whipped cream or yoghurt.
For the cake
|1 cup||Dates, dried, halved|
|¼ cup||Boiling water|
|2 tsp||Orange zest|
|1 medium||Banana, mashed roughly|
|1 cup||Self raising flour|
|½ cup||Dark chocolate bits|
For the ganache
- Preheat an oven to 180C. Line a 20cm cake tin.
- Place the dates, water, brandy and zest into a small pot. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 5 minutes. The liquid will have almost evaporated. Remove from the heat and cool.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, combining well, then add the banana.
- Fold in the flour, chocolate chips and dates. Pour into the cake tin and bake for 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool in the tin.
- To make the ganache, bring the cream to a boil then pour over the chocolate and stir until smooth. Cool to room temperature then spread over the cake.
- Serve with a dollop of cream or yoghurt.
More tried and true recipes from Angela