Lamb stir-fry with saffron quinoa pilaf
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Tam West
This recipe comes from Gwen Harvie at Carrick Restaurant, Bannockburn, using silver Fern Farms lamb stir-fry.
For the lamb
|2 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|1 packet||Silver Fern Farms lamb stir-fry, at room temperature|
|1 tsp||Mild curry powder|
|1 tsp||Ground coriander|
|½ tsp||Ground cumin|
For the quinoa
|¼ cup||White wine|
|1 pinch||Saffron threads|
|1||Onion, finely chopped|
|2||Garlic cloves, crushed|
|1 tsp||Fresh thyme|
|½ tsp||Ground turmeric, or 1 tsp fresh turmeric|
|1 cup||Quinoa, red or white|
|1½ cups||Chicken stock|
|½ cup||Dried apricots, diced; I used Central Otago apricots|
|2||Baby bok choy, sliced, or 2 stems sweet stem broccoli, cut into short lengths and steamed until tender|
|2 handfuls||Baby spinach|
|1 sprinkle||Chopped parsley|
|1 sprinkle||Chopped mint|
|1 pottle||Natural yoghurt, optional, for serving|
- Place the lamb in a bowl with 1 Tbsp of the oil, curry powder, coriander and cumin. Mix well to combine and set aside.
- Heat the wine, add the saffron and leave to infuse.
- Place a saucepan over a low heat. Add the remaining 1 Tbsp oil with the onion, garlic and thyme and cook until the onion is soft. Add the wine and saffron, turmeric and quinoa and stir to coat quinoa. Pour in the chicken stock and bring up to the boil. Cover and cook for 12-15 minutes until the stock is absorbed and the quinoa cooked. Remove from the heat and leave to stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Add the dried apricots and steamed greens and keep warm.
- Heat a large frying pan to a medium-high heat and add the lamb, in 2-3 batches. Stir-fry for approximately 3 minutes each. Transfer to a plate, cover and rest for 2-3 minutes.
- Combine the lamb and quinoa pilaf and stir through the baby spinach.
- Serve in small bowls and top each bowl with a sprinkling of freshly chopped herbs and a dollop of yoghurt, if using.