Pork ribs with rice and pickles
Photo by Tam West
The spicy richness of the pork is great with the sweet and sour pickles.
- Heat the oven to 180C. Line a large shallow roasting tray with baking paper.
- Put the garlic, ginger, soy sauce, 4 tablespoons of the vinegar, the oil, chilli flakes, tomato paste and sugar into a small food processor and process until smooth or put everything into a large bowl and mix well. Add the ribs and mix well again. Marinate for 1 hour.
- Transfer to the lined roasting tray, pour in the water and roast 1 hour turning until the meat comes easily off the bones and the liquid has evaporated. If they look like they might burn, cover loosely with foil until done.
- Meanwhile put the cucumber, carrot, celery and the 1 teaspoon salt into a large bowl and mix well. Reserve 20 minutes then rinse well in lots of cold water and squeeze dry in handfuls. Place in a clean bowl and add the remaining 3 tablespoons of vinegar, the pineapple, caster sugar and chilli. Mix well so the sugar dissolves. These are the pickles. Reserve.
- Serve the ribs sprinkled with coriander sprigs and the pickles and rice on the side
More affordable pork recipes from Ray