Sultana and spiced apple cake
( MAKES 23cm cake )
Photo by Tam West
This cake is an old-fashioned classic and a favourite. It stores, slices and eats really well. I like to use Granny Smith or Braeburn apples for their acidity. Serve with a dusting of icing sugar.
- Heat the oven to 180C. Grease a 23cm round cake tin.
- Place the sultanas in a small pot and cover with 2 cups of water. Bring to the boil, simmer for 3 minutes then remove from heat, cool then drain (and discard cooking water).
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and vanilla, beat well.
- Mix in the flour, baking powder and salt. Toss the apples with the spices then stir these into the cake mix along with the sultanas.
- Pour into the tin and bake for 60 minutes or until the cake is golden. Test by inserting a skewer; it should come out clean and hot.
More of Geoff's cakes that double as desserts