Baked chocolate with cardamom pears
- Preheat oven to 170C. Halve and core the pears. Butter a baking dish then lay the pears, cardamom and ginger.
- Sprinkle each pear with sugar and dot with the butter. Pour over the water, cover with tinfoil and bake for 1 hour.
- Turn the oven down to 150C. Pour the cream into a saucepan, add the vanilla pod and seeds and warm. Cover, turn off the heat and let infuse for 30 minutes.
- Pour the milk into a second saucepan and add the chopped chocolate then let melt over a gentle heat.
- Whisk the yolks and icing sugar together until pale then add the vanilla cream, and then the chocolate milk mixture. Blend thoroughly and pour into a baking dish or individual ramekins. Bake in a bain-marie for approximately 40 minutes or until slightly puffed and set. Serve with the baked pears.
- This dessert can be eaten straight away or chilled overnight.