Mexican wedding cakes
These small, tender biscuits are a delightful gift or are perfect with fresh berry desserts. Makes 48.
|50 g||Pecans, or walnuts, roughly chopped|
|100 g||Icing sugar|
|200 g||Butter, firm|
|225 g||Standard flour|
|1 cup||Icing sugar, sifted|
- Put the nuts and icing sugar into a processor and whiz until the nuts are as fine as the icing sugar.
- Cut the butter into chunks and add to the processor with the vanilla. Pulse until smooth.
- Add the flour and pulse until the mixture starts to clump. Tip out of the processor into a small bowl, cover with plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for 30-60 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 175C. Roll the chilled dough into small balls, each one using about 2 tsp of dough.
- Place on a baking tray. Bake for about 15 minutes until the balls have flattened into mounds and are golden brown on the bottom and pale on top.
- Remove from the oven and cool for 5 minutes, then put the icing sugar on a platter and roll the warm cakes in it.
- Leave to cool and store in an airtight container.
- To serve, put on a plate and sift with a little more icing sugar.