Carmen's Potato and Pork Bombas with smoked paprika aioli
( SERVES 6 )
Photo by Tam West
These filled and fried potato balls come from Carmen Jones restaurant on Auckland's K Road and serve 6 as a tapa.
For the bomba mix
Filling and serving
- Sprinkle flour into mashed potato and mix well, (do not use food processor for this).
- In a separate bowl mix chorizo, bacon, roast pork, fennel seeds and parsley and season with salt and pepper.
- Put an amount of potato mix into the palm of your left hand, flattening the mixture. In the centre of this, place a scant teaspoon of pork filling and close the potato around the filling, rolling between two hands to make a ball with the filling in the centre. You are aiming for a size slightly larger than a squash ball.
- Roll balls in breadcrumbs to coat well (you can also use the egg and crumb method if you want a thicker coating) and refrigerate to stiffen.
- Combine aioli, red pepper and smoked paprika. If a bit chunky, push through a sieve. Set aside.
- To serve, deep fry (or shallow fry, turning till evenly golden) and serve with smoked paprika aioli for dunking.
For more from Sally and Clare Hindmarsh, see the Mezze Bar's Roasted Carrot Mezze with garlicky yoghurt and golden olive oil