Photo by Tam West
|1 Ltr||Whole milk|
|2||Onions, 1 small one peeled and studded with 5 cloves to flavour bechamel, the second onion finely chopped|
|1 tsp||Black peppercorns|
|2||Bay leaves, use up to 3, fresh|
|2 tsp||Mustard powder|
|1 tsp||Worcestershire sauce|
|½ tsp||Cayenne pepper, or to taste|
|3 cloves||Crushed garlic|
|1 small||Green chilli, minced, optional|
|1 large handful||Sliced mushrooms, ensure they are finely sliced|
|1 splash||White wine, a generous one|
|1||Bunch of Kale, stemmed and shredded, or use a bag of baby kale or spinach|
|½ cup||Cheddar cheese, grated|
|½ cup||Grated swiss cheese, or use edam|
|½ cup||Blue cheese, crumbled, plus extra for topping|
|1 splash||Cream, a generous pour|
|4 cups||Macaroni, cooked|
|1 handful||Chopped fresh herbs|
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- For the bechamel sauce, into a pot put the milk, clove-studded onion, the peppercorns and bayleaves. Heat until just scalded (hot, not boiling).
- In a large heavy based saucepan, melt the butter until foaming. Whisk in the flour until smooth, then stir with a wooden spoon to cook out the roux, about 3 minutes.
- In stages, strain and whisk in the milk until smooth and just boiling. Reduce to a simmer, then stir until sauce thickens (to the consistency of pouring custard, approx. 7-10 minutes).
- Whisk in mustard powder, Worcestershire sauce and cayenne pepper (to taste), then rest sauce for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, gently fry the finely chopped onion, the garlic, chilli if using and the mushrooms, until soft. Deglaze pan with a good pour of white wine, add the stemmed, shredded kale or bag of baby kale or spinach and cook until the greens have wilted and any liquid has evaporated. Set aside.
- To the cooked bechamel, add the grated cheddar, Swiss (or edam) and blue cheese. Add a good pour of fresh cream and reheat gently, stirring until cheese has melted.
- Add the cooked macaroni and the vege mix, a handful of chopped herbs, and stir to combine. Season. Transfer mix to a large baking dish, top with a little blue cheese and bake until just bubbling.
More of Warren’s mac and cheese dishes