Apple 'n' sausage mac
( SERVES 6 )
Photo by Tam West
|1 Ltr||Whole milk|
|2||Onions, peeled, 1 small one studded with 5 cloves to flavour the bechamel and the second onion finely chopped|
|1 tsp||Black peppercorn|
|2||Bay leaves, or 3, fresh ones|
|2 tsp||Mustard powder|
|1 tsp||Worcestershire sauce|
|½ tsp||Cayenne pepper, or to taste|
|1 clove||Crushed garlic|
|3||Apples, 2 grated for the sauce, 1 or more sliced for topping|
|3||Pork sausages, meat squeezed from casings|
|1 small handful||Sage leaf, finely chopped|
|⅔ cup||Mild grated cheddar|
|⅔ cup||Grated swiss cheese|
|⅔ cup||Grated goat's cheese|
|1 drizzle||Cream, a good pour|
|4 cups||Macaroni, cooked|
|1 large handful||Grated parmesan cheese, enough to cover the dish|
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- For the bechamel sauce, into a pot put the milk, clove-studded onion, the peppercorns and bayleaves. Heat until just scalded (hot, not boiling).
- In a large heavy based saucepan, melt the butter until foaming. Whisk in the flour until smooth, then stir with a wooden spoon to cook out the roux, about 3 minutes.
- In stages, strain and whisk in the milk until smooth and just boiling. Reduce to a simmer, then stir until sauce thickens (to the consistency of pouring custard, approx. 7-10 minutes).
- Whisk in mustard powder, Worcestershire sauce and cayenne pepper (to taste), then rest sauce for 5 minutes.
- Gently fry the finely chopped onion, the garlic and 2 grated apples until soft. Add the sausage, cooking to break up the meat as you go. Season with the chopped sage and a good grind of black pepper, and remove.
- To the bechamel, add the grated cheddar, Swiss and goat’s cheese. Add a good pour of fresh cream and reheat gently, stirring until cheese has melted. Add macaroni and sausage mix and stir to combine. Season.
- Transfer mix to a large baking dish, top with parmesan and sliced apple and bake until golden.
More of Warren’s mac and cheese dishes