Pork and prune hotpot
( SERVES 4 )
Prunes are the sweet jewels in this classic hotpot. Match it with the Reserve Barrique Fermented Chardonnay from Villa Maria’s jewel – McDiarmid Hill vineyard in Gisborne. Blended with grapes from Villa Maria’s Brian Tietjins vineyard, also in Gisborne, the wine captures the essence of the region, offering a complex medley of aromas with hints of tropical fruits, fig and smoky grilled nut characters.
Seamlessly textured with a creamy mid-palate leading to a finish extended by fine acidity. This is a concentrated and powerful wine that holds its own against rich, wintry meals.
- Heat the oven to 180C fanbake.
- Season the pork with salt and pepper and fry in oil until brown on all sides. Place in an ovenproof dish.
- Fry the onion, garlic and sage until onion is soft, adding more oil if required. Place in the dish.
- Deglaze the pan with the apple cider vinegar and pour into the dish. Dot the prunes around the pork. Pour in the stock.
- Arrange the sliced potatoes around the top of the pork. Season with salt and pepper and dot with butter.
- Cover and cook for 1 hour. Uncover and cook a further 30-40 minutes until potato is golden.